Wedding is special occasion when we want to look resplendent and every bit an angel! Therefore, we take great pains to choose the wedding trousseau. None of us would even think of making our own wedding jewelry and accessories due to the fear of rejection and lack of confidence. Are you the enterprising lot who would want to try making your own wedding necklace? Here are some ideas to work on and come up with an exquisite piece that is the envy of the crowd and the center of attraction.
Complexity level: Easy
Time taken: 1 day
Things you would need:
2. Jewelry pliers- 2 pairs
3. Wire cutter-1
4. Jewelry wire which is soft and fine
5. Jump rings (5 mm) – one packet of silver and gold each
6. Jump rings (6 mm) – one packet of silver and gold each
7. Silver toggle closure-1
8. 14 k gold cable chain- 2 feet
9. Stick pins
1. First drape the gold cable chain around the mannequin after cutting it to the desired length and pin it securely.
2. Take all the baubles and pieces that you have collected for making the necklace and using stick pins fix them on to the mannequin. These would include rhinestone bracelets, hairclips, bracelets, earrings, pendants, etc.
3. Fix the toggle closure by opening one end of the cable chain with the jewelry plier and looping in the circle end and closing the link.
4. Repeat the procedure and fix the stick end and close the chain link with the plier. The necklace can now be closed with the closure after removing the pin.
5. You can now take out your baubles and jewelry attachments that you have collected for making the neck piece. This can be beads, bracelet, clip on earrings, brooches, pendants, hair clips, etc.
6. Arrange them tastefully and fix them at the back in case of rhinestone chains and bead strands. They can be attached to the toddle ring or tied around at the end of the toggle closure.
7. Fix the clips and earrings at the right places to create a visually pleasing effect. You can pin and repin later after the final assessment.
8. Bracelets in rhinestone and pearls can be either fixed at the back or fitted from the sides to create the desired style.
9. Pendants, clips and earrings can be kept for the final step as they are easy to fix and remove.
10. Jump rings can be used for fixing these to the chain at varying angles according to the taste. You might have to use several heavy jump rings to secure accent pieces like pendants which could be heavy.
11. You can use the earrings, hairpins and pendants at strategic places to hide the joints created by using various bracelets and chains.
12. Jump rings must be used to lop the clip on earrings into the chain and secure it tightly with a plier.
13. Make sure that you try the necklace on after securing each heavy piece to ensure that the necklace is balanced well on the neck and does not lean to one side.
Getting the right kind of beads and pieces that can be fitted to form the main piece requires a fine eye for detail and a perfect imagination. Once you know what you are going to make, things fall into place.