The wedding day is the most important and special day of a couple’s life. Not only do the couple but also the couple’s family and friends cherish this moment. A good wedding favor that has been practiced since long is the best way to make them feel they are valued. It is a token of your love and respect towards your family and friends. Let’s have a look at the history of these wedding favors and also check out how to make limoncello and lemondrop homemade wedding favors.
How significant are wedding favors
The history of wedding favors date back to the times when the aristocrats from Europe; that too particularly from Italy and France used to gift their guests with a sweet delicacy called Bonbonniers. These favors were packed inside a trinket box. The sugar in the sweet used to be an expensive item and stood for wealth and royalty.
The boxes containing the sweets were made out of porcelain or metal and were studded with precious stones. With the decline in the prices of sugar, that made it a cheap commodity the practice of gifting these sweets no longer remained exclusive and hence Bonbonniers were replaced by almonds which later became sugar coated and were known as Jordan almonds. These Jordan almonds are still very famous in the modern weddings.
Preferred wedding favors of the past
The day of the wedding is considered to be a holy ritual and a very auspicious moment hence, the bride and groom were to give their guests a gift of five Bobbonniers or Jordan almonds that represented good health, wealth, fertility, happiness and long life. This was believed to be a way of sharing their luck. Not only a way of sharing the good lick but also the wedding favor was considered as a good momentum for the occasion and is still thought of so. It is a special that the guests take along with them and remember the marriage forever.
DIY: How to make homemade wedding favors – Limoncello
Wedding favors can not necessarily be traditional so, add a touch of whimsy by gifting something funny but useful. Today, we have a fun wedding favor that can really make your guests feel happy – homemade limoncello wedding Favors . These homemade wedding favors contains the freshness of lemon and can be made six months before the wedding. Read on to follow the instructions.
Things you need
- 1 bottle ever clear
- Vodka (80-100 proof)
- Glass jars
- Yellow lemons
- Tape water
- White sugar (4 cups)
- Cheese cloth
- Let’s start by mixing vodka and everclear in a large glass jar.
- Take at least 10-20 lemons and clean their skins. You can do this with a knife or a vegetable brush.
- Take the lemon zest onto the jar and shake and stir it gently. Store the jar after covering with a lid in a cool place (but not in refrigerator)
- You need to let the mixture set for about 6 weeks will it turns yellow and will smell like yellow.
- After six weeks, stir these lemons peels. You can also check the flexibility by shaking one of the larger peels. If the lemon peel breaks, you need to move on to the next step.
- Make simple syrup by dissolving 4 cups of sugar in water; boil it for about five minutes. Put off to let it cool for some time.
- Now add it to the mixture. The alcohol content is inversely proportional to the quantity of syrup you add, so decide how much alcohol you want and pour the syrup according to that.
- Now again keep the whole mixture in a cool place for about 40 days and keep on stirring it once in a week.
- After 6 weeks, you will see that the whole mixture has settled down and a fairy clear solution is ready for you.
- Filter the limoncello by using cheese cloth and funnel in glass jars and decorate them according to your choice.
Things to watch out
- Don’t leave any pith on lemons and make pieces as larger as possible.
- Don’t forget to stir the whole solution once in a week.
- Limoncello should be consumed within six months after the making and it gets smoother with age.
DIY: How to make lemon drop summer wedding favors
Looking for some real good favor ideas for your summer wedding? Here is the coolest of the DIY wedding favors idea that will make your loved ones feel happy. In this DIY we will make you learn that how you can make all homemade lemon drop summer wedding favors with the tiniest of the efforts and to pleasure the senses of your wedding guests. Hope you would love this tangy wedding favors idea and the DIY. Even if you know someone who is soon going to be married; tell him or her about this great idea. Read and then lend some hands to try this.
Difficulty level: Easy
Time required: 10-15 minutes
- Glass jars with latch
- Pack of lemon drop (8-10 for each jar)
- Bottle caps (Vintage styled)
- A pair of scissors
- Parchment paper
- A ribbon
- Make a good selection of the glass jars for distributing the wedding favors. Take as many as you need to gift the favors to your loved ones.
- Clean the jars with some water and then let them dry till they are neat and good looking.
- Put all the jars on a table and slip in the lemon drops.
- Take the parchment paper in some square shape and cover the opening of the jars.
- Now take a ribbon (preferably of lime color) and ties it around the neck of the jars, such that the parchment paper serves as a cover to the opening of the jars.
- Take some bottle caps that are vintage and classy in style and cover the bottles.
Things to watch out for
- · You must not leave the jars wet by any chance.
- · If the vintage styled bottle caps of the exact size aren’t available then you must glue them to the parchment paper. But get the nearest size by your side.
A final note on homemade wedding favors
Though there are great differences between the type of wedding favors that were being gifted in the past as well as today; however, the tradition continues to be the same amongst the different cultures all around the world. In the modern wedding occasions; the wedding favors depends on the theme of the wedding. The couple may also choose a wedding favor based on their lifestyle, budget or hobby. Some wedding favors may serve as a good means of decoration or a source of entertainment.